ISO 50001:2011 is the International Standard for Energy Management, released in June 2011 that replaces the British and European Standard BS EN 16001:2009.
With the cost of energy (electricity, gas, oil) rising, proactive energy management is becoming a necessity for most organisations. Add to that the environmental benefits from such a focus, for example the reduction in carbon emissions and the limiting of environmental impact, and itâ€™s easy to see why the new ISO 50001 Energy Management Systems (EnMS) Standard is being welcomed by organisations worldwide.Energy efficiency and energy resource management is very relevant in today’s context of global warming and climate change. Energy production is responsible for sixty percent of the worlds Green House Gas emissions. The proposed standard is in line with this requirement to help firms and organizations address and reference energy management issues on a global standard.
Get the best energy efficiency credentials with ISO 50001 certification. Prove that your business is managing energy use effectively that you are reducing your greenhouse gas emissions and you are working to meet environmental targets. Proof of compliance with ISO 50001 will demonstrate that you are a responsible business.
Benefit of ISO 50001:2011 Certification:
- Measuring and monitoring energy consumption by having an EnMS will assist you in finding ways to use energy more efficiently, thereby potentially reducing costs.
- Identifying your energy sources and usage helps you to limit future risk and determine alternative sources.
- Focusing on energy management promotes new energy-efficient product/ technologies development.
- Dedicated energy management proves to your stakeholders that you are committed to improving efficiency and limiting your organisation’s impact on the environment.
- Environmentally-aware organisations prefer to do business with like-minded companies who can demonstrate a commitment through internationally recognised standards such as ISO 50001.
- Including an Energy Management System can improve your overall existing management system, positioning your business to compete more effectively in the global marketplace.
- ISO 50001 integrates with other important certification standards such as ISO 14001, ISO 9001 and OHSAS 18001.
- promoting a framework for efficient use of energy in the organization.